I'm declaring a new style.  I'm tired of people forcing definitions on 'steampunk' or 'neo Victorian'.  You'd think a 'style' by definition would be pretty wide open, but people just can't help making rules about things.  I guess that lets them feel like they're in control or something. 

It makes me want to be in control.  I'm about to have a control seizure.  I'm swelling even as we speak.  I'm billowing up like a bee sting victim.  Like an aomeba about to engulf something.  I'm as wide as a mother-in-law before Thanksgiving dinner, and I'm about to take charge. 

Are you ready?

Hold on to your giblets.

My new style is called  Retromechogeek, and it's all mine!!!  And I'm making all the rules!!!  So be warned, Regretsy!  From now on the tags on my stuff will contain 'Retomechogeek' and I'd like to see anyone report that they're not!

For anyone who's interested, Retromechogeek means jewelry that is like steampunk, or neo-Victorian with an overlay of shabby chic, but perhaps is too intellectual for the casual jewelry buyer.  Retromechogeek jewelry will have watch parts and gears, but it will be arranged in a sophisticated manner, sort of like those floral arrangements with dead sticks and two spindly flowers.  And - hold onto your hoody hoods - Retromechogeek may incorporate elements strictly reserved for the feminine persuasion!  As in colors other than silver, brass or copper!  And flowers.

Retromechogeek will gather up the best parts of the past and exploit them.  It will lard up bib-style necklaces with broken bits of rhinestone jewelry.  It will encrust.  It will find itself at the saturation point and add one more piece.  Only then can true glitter-satiation be achieved.

Retromechogeek recycles.  Junkpunk is a subset of Retromechogeek.  It believes that just because something is broken and useless, it doesn't mean it can't be used to make a dangle.

But that's not all!  Retromechogeek will make fun of just about everything it refers to.  Steampunk has wings on watchwork - Retromechogeek will put wings on everything, from animals to spinkler parts.  Steampunk hangs watchworks from chains and calls it jewelry.  Retromechogeek hangs watchworks from just about anything, including octopusses. (Raspberry to Regretsy.  Haven't you people ever read Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea?)   Retromechogeek may even use the parts from battery driven watches!  Gasp!  Breaking style boundaries, here.  Call the fashion police.

And here's the best part:  Retromechogeek does not feel restrained by pricing.  When I started into this business, little old me was concerned that if I marked things too low, I might be taking business away from people who actually depended on selling jewelry over the internet for their livelihood. 
Now that I'm Retromechogeek, I am no longer in competition with those other people, and I'm free to set my prices as low as the should have been in the first place!  Etsy beware!

And by the way, since I'm in charge of everything now, I'm granting you permission to like
Retromechogeek without worrying if everybody else likes it, too!  Be brave!  Stand up for innovation!  Buy a flower with a watchworks in the center, and make people ask questions!  Buy a winged elephant!  Wear yellow.  Yes, yellow is a color.  It's right between orange and green.  You don't see it much now days, but it's perfectly acceptable.

Sigh.

And now that my rant is concluded, and I draw a mental breath,  I realize I'm fighting an unwinable battle.  Naming a thing doesn't make it popular.  Only celebrity endorsements can do that. 
So here are some famous people wearing my stuff.










And both presidential candidateds, just to be fair.






Oh, wait.  My daughter Ellie informs me I haveto have actual permission to do this.  Sigh.
there's always a snag.  Please disregard any implied endorsement of my products that might have been generagted in your imagination by viewing these pictures. 

Comments

Popular Posts